Friday 8 February 2013

The Research... Part 1 - The Implants! :o)

Hi again!!

Now to talk about my research!  First, the implants! :o)

I mentioned at the end of my first blog post who I am having my breasts done through, and that is Dr Ces Colagrande.  Before I write about why I chose him as my surgeon though, I'd like to write about my research regarding the implants themselves!  Like I said, it wasn't a decision I made lightly, I have 3 beautiful daughters my husband and I are raising and I am a stay at home Mum, so I don't want my husband to pay more than he already has too with our one income for my breasts.  I want them done right the first time and I want the safest possible implants put into my body to reduce the risks of any complications as much as possible.

As soon as I finished breast feeding my last baby I started researching about breast augmentation.  I read numerous posts, information and experiences from all over the Internet, some of it quite scary!  I googled and googled away, reading until late at night sometimes (even when I was meant to be doing uni work, naughty girl ;o) haha!!) and I wrote things down as I went along to remind myself of things I wanted to look up and find answers for or look more into.

It wasn't long before I knew that I wanted Polyurethane Foam Coated (often referred to as 'Furry') Brazilian implants, in fact, I knew that this kind of implant is the ONLY implant I would allow to have put in my body.  I have read SO MANY articles from all over the Internet talking about the much less risk of capsular contracture with Brazilian implants.  Basically, Brazilian implants have only a 1% chance of capsular contracture after 18-20 years, whereas standard textured and smooth implants have a whopping 17% chance of capsular contracture after only as little as 7 years!  That's a HUGE difference, and after corresponding with many different surgeons via email and phone (both those who are FOR the Brazilians and others who are AGAINST the Brazilians) I knew that they were the safest option and I would NOT have any other kind of implant put in my body.  The difference between them is just phenomenal.

I guess I should mention for those who don't know, that capsular contracture is one of the most common complications with breast implants.  Basically, it is where a scar tissue forms around the implant and squeezes and squeezes the implant until it looks distorted on the chest.  It can cause lots of pain and discomfort and ends up needing to be taken out and replaced.  I think it's the body's way of trying to reject this foreign object inside your body.

I don't think I should post photos that are not mine on my blog, so to have a better idea of what capsular contracture is, go and google 'capsular contracture' and click on 'images' when it brings up your results...  It's pretty scary to see and could almost put people off, so that is why it is SO important that if breast implants is something you really want, do what is the safest for your body! :o)

As I said, some doctors still believe in smooth and textured implants instead of Brazilians.  But here is some information that not everyone knows...

Some people think that Brazilian implants are 'NEW" and this is completely inaccurate.  Brazilian implants have been used for almost 40 years in more than 30 countries across the world (this is how they have been able to perform studies on them so they can give you the statistics of their risks), it is just that Australia has only passed them a few years back, and now Australia has deemed Brazilian implants as the safest implants in the world.  I guess our country likes to be really sure before they pass things and claim things as safe, and you know what?  That's a good thing really, at least we know our country doesn't make decisions lightly right? :o)

Anyway, you might have noticed I also said that I have communicated with both surgeons who are FOR brazilians, and others who are AGAINST brazilian implants.  Well, here is more about that...

Back when I first started to dip my toes into the whole 'breast implant' world, I first called and talked to my local surgeon in the town I live.  He is (as far as I know) the only surgeon in my town who does breast implants and he charges a phenomenal amount (because he can I guess) and surprisingly, he doesn't use brazilian implants!!  This surprised me, especially with the price he charged, it really was ridiculous.  Anyway, after that enquiry and reading into all of the information he gave me I dropped the idea of using him as my surgeon straight away.  BUT... I was impressed with one thing...  and that is...  He told me (when I asked why he doesn't use Brazilians when they are the safest implant) that he doesn't use them because he has performed breast implant surgery for many years, but never used brazilians, so he doesn't feel comfortable to suddenly start using an implant he isn't familiar with.  He is an older surgeon, probably much past retirement age, and I have to say that I was impressed with his honesty.  Other surgeons tried to say the brazilians are not safe etc, but he told me the truth and I respect him for that.

Anyway, this is why certain surgeons will not use brazilians (most of those would most likely be Australian surgeons who have not done breast implant surgery overseas and therefore have not used brazilians because they have not been allowed to be used in Australia until they were finally passed a few years ago).  The reason is, that brazilian implants stick/adhere to your chest wall.  You may know that with smooth and textured implants you have to massage or manipulate them every day for the rest of your life to try and reduce a scar tissue forming around them so that you don't get capsular contracture.  The brazilian implants are not to be massaged at all, because they are meant to stick to your chest wall in a sort of velcro effect.  Now because of this, many surgeons are not comfortable with their skills in placement of these type of breast implants because where the surgeon puts them is where they will stay.  So if the surgeon doesn't have enough experience in these, they may not place them perfectly and once the implant has adhered to your chest wall in the early stages of healing, well then that's it, that's where they will stay.  With smooth and textured, they sit loosely in your breast pocket so the surgeon doesn't have to stress so much about them staying exactly where they have put them.  The brazilians adhere to your chest wall and because of the furry coating covering them, a scar tissue cannot form around it.  Brilliant!  And there are more bonuses to this also...  Because brazilians don't sit loosely in your breast pocket, you don't have that risk of them becoming heavy or falling down below your breast pocket as you age, (much less saggy boobs when we become older ladies, we shouldn't expect to have boobies touching our belly buttons with these brazilian babies! Woohoo!! ;o) hahahahaha!!) when you get older you'll still have great breasts because they will stay where they are.  They ALSO stay where they are when you lay on your back instead of falling to each side as breasts do, so the bonuses just keep getting better! :o)

So there you go!  Brazilians as far as I'm concerned are the safest option, of course everyone has their own opinion and that's totally okay, I don't judge those who'd prefer smooth or textured implants, it's personal choice, but my opinion, for my body, brazilians is the safest by far :o)

Now as you can probably tell, I love to write!!  So I better end this post for now before these blog posts each become as long as novels ;o)  hahaha!!!  I'll be back again soon to write about my surgeon and why I chose him!

Sil xoxo






No comments:

Post a Comment